Dead Graphics card
Moderators: G-MAN-GUK, Sibren
PuddinSkins
Tue Aug 23 2011, 02:30am

Donations: $670

Received: 8 beers
Battlefield 3:
Battlefield 2:

Well ladies and gents, after 3 years of good service my E-Gforce 8800 GT graphics card took a dirt nap today... it kept locking up my computer and leaving red squiggly lines across my screen, after some research I found out that other people who had the same problem found that it was a bad graphics card

I am buying another card, but I only have a PCI Express 1.0 board, I looked around and found some people using the 2.0 cards in a 1.0 slot and it works fine, not sure if any of you are doing this.

Here is the card I want, let me know what you guys think:

EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1461-KR GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

Here is a detailed look at it from NewEgg:
[link]

I was hoping to get some feedback from all you really cool "geeks/gamers" on this card. If there is a better one that has a better price then I am all for moving in another direction.

Thanks!

Buy PuddinSkins a beer!
Bullbio
Tue Aug 23 2011, 04:32am

Donations: $390

Received: 3 beers
Battlefield 3:
Battlefield 2:
Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him. RIP, old 8800 GT.

Here's a few things I had to go through when I went from a 9800 to my 465. Power, space, and cooling. These newer boards take more power and some take more than one power connection from the PS. Make sure your PS has enough of the right connections and can handle the extra power output. Maybe use a PS configurator you can find online. These newer boards are bigger, this one is a double-slotted card. Do you have the unused slot next to your PCIe? Not only width, but they are longer, too. I had to measure from the inside back of the case to the HDD enclosure to make sure mine would fit before I bought it. Even then, I have to hook up its connectors before I put it in the slot. Then, make sure your case has plenty of cooling, especially since this new card is overclocked.

A 2.0 card in a 1.0 slot will only perform like a 1.0 card. I would think you would be paying for more card than you will use, unless you plan on upgrading your mobo in the not-too-distant future and keeping the card. But, then again, I only see one 1.0 card on NewEgg, and it is a 512 MB card. So, your choices might be limited unless you look at other vendors who deal in older equipment.

MSI K9N2 DIAMOND AM2 780ASLI | 2 x EVGA GTX 465 (Fermi) 1 GB | CoolerMaster Silent Pro M1000 1000W | AMD Phenom II X4 3.4G | 4 GB DDR2 1066 | Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler | Western Digital 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s | Win7 64
Buy Bullbio a beer!
Bullbio has been thanked 1 time for this post!
PuddinSkins
Tue Aug 23 2011, 06:27am

Battlefield 3:
Battlefield 2:
Thanks, Bullbio. That's the information I need. I have a PS that has all the output needed for the card (plus some - Silverstone 750 Watt). I did notice that the card was thicker when I looked at the pic, it's like an old VHS tape that has a PCIe connection on it... I've got room for it though.

I noticed the same thing you did when it came to the availability of a 1.0 card. Looks like I will be buying the 2.0 card and upgrading my motherboard soon. This gives me a good excuse to do just that

Thanks again.
Buy PuddinSkins a beer!
Bullbio
Tue Aug 23 2011, 07:30am

Battlefield 3:
Battlefield 2:
No prob, Puddin. Also, I noticed in one of the reviews that this card does not like older games. Don't know how important that is for you, but I still have X-Wing and Tie Fighter that I run on a DOS emulator. Maybe the drivers haven't caught up with the card, or it wasn't installed as well as it could have been.

That card thickness is for the fan to vent its exhaust heat out of the case through one of the knockout holes. Mine covers up my PCIe 1X port, so I had to buy a PCI sound card. Needed one anyway because my mic didn't work for VOIP/TS/Vent. Still doesn't work on the new one so it's probably my mobo. Meh, that's why you see me typing my messages ingame.

Happy hunting!

MSI K9N2 DIAMOND AM2 780ASLI | 2 x EVGA GTX 465 (Fermi) 1 GB | CoolerMaster Silent Pro M1000 1000W | AMD Phenom II X4 3.4G | 4 GB DDR2 1066 | Vigor Monsoon III LT Dual 120mm Fan CPU Cooler | Western Digital 1 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s | Win7 64
Buy Bullbio a beer!
PuddinSkins
Wed Aug 24 2011, 02:01am

Battlefield 3:
Battlefield 2:
Yah, I noticed that as well... I am good. I have an older laptop that won't play BF2 but it will play older games my kids like, so we are set!

I ordered the graphics card today, should be here Friday, I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for all your help!

David (Puddin)
Buy PuddinSkins a beer!
EasyLayCloWn
Wed Aug 24 2011, 03:05am

Donations: $395

Received: 7 beers
Battlefield 3:
Battlefield 2:
I also had 2 8800 GT's die is the same way strange colours in blocks ocross the screen think mine where labtec ones .. too late for you now Puddin but a note for others still running such cards ... apparently over time the constant fan running can loosten the screws / bolts holding the heat sink and fan to the chip causing a small gap between chip and heat sink hence causing over heat and wrecking your card ... so if you still run a steam driven pc with a hamster running on a wheel to power it tighten your nuts err so to say

Buy EasyLayCloWn a beer!
PuddinSkins
Thu Aug 25 2011, 12:38am

Battlefield 3:
Battlefield 2:
Tightening your nuts is a good idea, in any situation...
Buy PuddinSkins a beer!
Bullbio
Thu Aug 25 2011, 12:45am

Battlefield 3:
Battlefield 2:
Don't overtighten them or you'll strip the threads.

Buy Bullbio a beer!
genosseH
Thu Aug 25 2011, 02:56pm

Donations: $115

Received: 5 beers
Battlefield 3:
Battlefield 2:
Typical problem of the 8800GT.
Well, whatever. I work also with 2x 8800GTX in SLI.
I produce the problem with the heat in my tower, because the 8800 graphics card a lot of heat.
I solved the problem by regularly I unscrew the fan cover and clean the cooler. Then I downloaded a program.
EVGA Precision v2.0.3 (good and very simple program, I can only recommend) for Nvidia cards.
So I then set the fan to a slightly higher speed.
Now I have better cooling and both cards are working properly.
Soon however, these two cards are exchanged.
Then gives a new one.

Buy genosseH a beer!

Jump:     Back to top

Render time: 0.4619 sec, 0.0846 of that for queries. DB queries: 163. Memory Usage: 3,698kB